Sunday 28 September 2014

Day tripping

Day 3

It was raining all night and all morning. I watched the football and read some more of the book. I also tried clearing some emails. My inbox stands at about 2000 emails dating back to 2011... so it's a slow process. I gave up after about 5 minutes.

After lunch the sun came out and we walked down to bulk barn. This place is incredible. 

I had to muster up a fair amount of restraint. There are 2 or 3 more aisles of sweets just like this and they're cheap too. I ended up just buying 3 bags of sweets to try. I'm emailing back to my old class to see if I can't just send over a load of sweets, as I'd promised them gifts whilst I travel. Would save hassle.

Got back and I'm sat typing this out with America's funniest videos playing in the background. It's like you've been framed but the people on it are bigger knobheads. Why are all the videos on it from 1994? They've not paid out for over 20 years and just keep recycling the same clips over and over. Arseholes.

Day 4

Woken up at 10. Trip into Toronto today. Spent about 30-40 minutes I'd say on the journey. It's strange; the landscape doesn't really change much until you get right into the heart of the city. It's just large houses and the occasional shopping plaza. In the city however it is just as you'd expect. Imagine the cityscape in films like Wall Street or Chicago. That's it. Literally. Turns out the entire film of Chicago was shot in Toronto. What a swizz. I wonder if people from Chicago realise that when they watch it.

View From CN Tower


We first visited Casa Loma (from Scott Pilgrim), a castle based on European design which was built at the turn of the 20th century. 

Poor bastard who built it then ran out of money having only lived in it for 10 years or so, and ended up living above his chauffeur's garage. Shouldn't have built a fucking castle with nearly 100 rooms in it for your family of three then should you. Idiot. It was beautiful though; excellent views as well. We took an audio tour. Aside from looking like a total dickhead, it's much better than just moping about looking at boring old shit. Mike managed pressed one of the secret door button, causing a loud buzz and him to jump a few feet. Laughter.


After looking around we went on an open top bus tour of Toronto. Cold, but also pretty interesting. As I sat on the open top bus gazing around in gormless amazement, I was mainly concentrating on two things. The first was the variety of different landmarks around the city as we made our way round. Some surviving buildings from last century mixed with the very obviously brand new constructions made for an eclectic mix of architecture. I have to admit I did love just sitting and taking it all in without having to think about where we were headed or what was next. The second thing I was concentrating on was look at all the people. Primarily all the women, however 'people watching' in general is very rewarding. Asides from the obvious, there was an array of interesting people in the city. A collection of skaters protesting some unknown cause outside a shopping centre, angry delivery drivers and fatties spring to mind as the highlights of this particular venture.

Having mentioned being hungry enough times, we stopped off for a meal on the way home. We also got Dairy Queen ice cream... From a drive thru. This place is the absolute shit. Ice cream - no need to get off your fat arse. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment